Wise Owl Doula

Birth, Breastfeeding and Circumcision from a Doula's perspective.

Monday, November 28, 2011

I can't help but wonder.

I can't help but wonder.

If I had been breastfed instead of formula fed, would I be....
Smarter?
Thinner?
Would I have better vision?
Would my hearing be better?
Would I be able to eat dairy without running to the bathroom an hour later?
Would I have a better relationship with my mother? 
http://www.drmomma.org/2011/06/breastfeeding-advocacy-and-formula.html

I'm not dumb, but just maybe, I wouldn't have struggled so much in math.
I think about what I could do/would do with those IQ points I was deprived of.
How different my life could be, the direction I might have taken with more
brain power. I could accept whatever IQ I was naturally supposed to have,
high or low, because I would know it was the intelligence I was meant to have.
Formula denied me ever really being able to know what my true potential is/was.

I needed glasses to see when I was 12, I have to ask people to repeat themselves
because I have a hard time hearing them- the doctor told my mother after the
constant ear infections I suffered as a child, I might have lost hearing.
Breastmilk protects against ear infections. Do the math.
I have a love/hate relationship with ice cream, cheese,
and I haven't had cows milk in my house in years. The lactose intolerance just isn't
worth it. I wonder, had I been given human breastmilk instead of cow uddermilk,
meant for baby cows, would I have not developed an allergy to it
by being given the wrong thing? I was fed food meant for
a hoofed animal my entire first year of life. It makes me wonder.

I struggle with my weight- would I be one of those women who snap right back
into their pre- baby weight bodies had I been breastfed as a baby myself?
Would working out not be such a work out, would I not be suffering the
effects of being overweight? I'll never know. Maybe, maybe not. I wonder.

I have always envied my girlfriends who chat with their mothers like
they chat with their girlfriends. Who actually ENJOY spending time with
their mom. They go shopping together, they cry over happy and sad things
together. They are awesome grandmas to their daughters children.
They wanted their mothers for support during childbirth. I wonder
what that's like. Maybe our personalities are too different
for that kind of relationship, or maybe had we bonded, fell in love,
over and over, as I looked into her face as she looked into mine
every time I was put to her breast, that bond would have/could
have overcome our differences, maybe.

Am I "just fine", or not?

I can't help but wonder. 

9 comments:

  1. I have wondered all those same things in my life. My mother's mantra is "you turned out fine." I'd rather be well, but there's no way to know for sure that things would be different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Food for thought, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankyou for sharing these thoughts, I found them fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, I was breastfed. For just over two years, in fact. And I have glasses (since I was 10) and allergies and I struggle with being overweight. I'm also lactose intolerant. I only had one ear infection during my childhood and my hearing is fine. I think I'm as smart as I was meant to be, but math has always been my weakest subject. Sometimes I wonder, though, how much worse off I'd be if I hadn't been nursed?

    Your post has really resonated with me. The best thing about being nursed as a child is the support and empathy from my mom as I go through my journey of motherhood. She's been my rock and my angel through a lot of nursing struggles.

    I hope that you can find peace and self-acceptance. You deserve it. Just because you are you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If it makes you feel better I was breastfed and I too have milk allergies and struggle with my weight. I do have to say that my mom and I have a good relationship but she seems to have a better relationship with my brother, they have more in common. My mom made our baby food from scratch and she stayed at home with us until I was in college. Which is funny because the homemade baby food may be why I have so many food allergies now. My point is that at the time and space our parents parented us they tried their best to be good parents with the information they had. They may have been imperfect but they tried the best they knew how at that time. My parents were great with so many things but I was fully vaccinated because this is what they thought best for me at the time. My kids are home-schooled and unvaccinated, who knows 30 years from now that may prove to be a sub-par decision but I can say that I am doing the best I can with what I have and know. Please try to find peace in the space you are in for dwelling on the past only leaves you there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you mamas for your kind and interesting replies :) I would like to say that while my Mom and I do have a strained relationship, I do love her and I know she loves me, I place no blame on her for not being breastfed. She was duped like too many mothers and I hope she doesn't feel any guilt, I asked her not to. It is what it is!
    But when I think about what formula actually is, I feel the same way if I was comparing Mc'D's to organic fruits and veggies. It's infuriating the way the industry literally takes advantage of a mother desperate to do the right thing for her baby!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mother has bad osteoporosis, I mean, really bad osteoporosis. A teenie bit more bone density would have made a huge difference for her now. She wasn't breastfed, and she didn't breastfeed me. I have wondered for a long time now if it would have made a difference for her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know it's hard not to question if our parents' shortcomings or decisions affected our lives down the road..

    But in this situation, I have seen both spectrums from breastfed babies. My brother and I were breastfed the same amount of time, but he has allergy issues and is as blind as a bat without his contacts. I don't have these problems. My 2 youngest sisters in law were both breastfed up until the age of 2. One has asthma, eczema, allergy issues, and was held back a grade in elementary school. The other, like me, doesn't have these problems.

    Everyone is different in that sense. However, I know that the hardest part is wondering if it affected your relationship with your mother. And the only advice I have for you there, is to not let the same happen with your own children. Having an amazing relationship with your own children is the best way to heal that wound :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way, I want your shirt in your profile picture! Where did you find it??

      Delete